If you have a yoga mat and pillow available, I recommend using them for this exercise. As with all movement exercises, only do what is comfortable for your body, and follow any recommendations by your physician.
- Lie down, and get comfortable.
- Take a long breath in through the nose, expanding the belly and then the ribs. Hold it for a few seconds, and then exhale completely, releasing as much air as possible. Repeat a few more times.
- As much as your body allows, bring your knees up to your chest and wrap your arms around them, rocking side to side a few times.
- Stretch your arms out to the sides, palms up, and gently drop your knees to the right, keeping both shoulder blades touching the floor.
- Relax into this stretch, breathing naturally. Gently massage your ribs on the left side, to help your body open and relax.
- When you feel ready, bring your left arm straight up by your ear, deepening the stretch.
- After a few breaths in this position, gently return your body to neutral on your back. Notice if your breathing feels different on one side of the body than the other. Repeat the stretch on the other side.